Monday, October 1, 2007

Thing 15 - thoughts on 2.0


Interesting things to think about. I like the article Away From Icebergs. http://www.oclc.org/nextspace/002/2.htm

I like the title especially, because it is a great metaphor...........and I like the content.

One of the icebergs is the "Just in case collection." This article says we need to get rid of it. That is a tough one. I am a packrat & probably 75% of the things i keep (books, papers, clothes, kitchen tools, scraps of wood) are "just in case." But i want to purge & simplify & like the idea that if the libraries of the world need to do it, so do I. According to Rick Anderson, his library has seen a 55% drop in circulation, which is why it is hard to justify such a collection any longer. And I think I have experienced a 55% drop in productivity, experiences, space and general fun becasue I am hanging on to so much stuff. So I am ready & all for Library 2.0 and Me 2.0 too

No comments: