Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Wiki Wiki Wiki

My main thing about wikis is the"no control." I dont like the fact that things are so open to problems. The first one I ever worked with was spammed & ruined. I guess the safety features built into that one were not too great.

On the plus side things are so easy - no need for special knowledge. The applications for wikis seem endless if you need to work collaboratively, but I am not sure if it is the best tool for most things. Wikipedia is great - something like that, infinite, yes that works. I guess in a way the whole web will be/ is being wikified.

But I dont know about the library usinf wikis for online subject guides or annotating the catalog. Yes I'd like the power, but I dont want other people/ everyone to have it. More Havoc. The library does need to be authoritative. We cannot allow users to add content, tags, links, because it is not what we do.

Maybe the library could host community wikis linked to our online branch, but it needs to be a separate entity.

No comments: